Walking Paths & Strolling Adventures in the Palm BEaches
Palm BEach Island Self Guided Walking tour (More soon)!
Brazilian Court Hotel - 386 Hibiscus Avenue. The Brazilian Court Hotel was built in 1924 by an unknown architect in the Mediterranean Revival style. The hotel was designed by Candela, and Fatio later added the south wing. Landmarked in 1994.
Pan’s Garden - 386 Hibiscus. Botanical Garden of Florida Native Plants, providing education to children about native plants.
Worth Avenue - 337-339 Worth Avenue. The Everglades Club, 1918-Addison Mizner’s first building in Palm Beach. 356 Worth Avenue. Via Mizner, 1924, Addison Mizner; a complex of varied buildings for commercial and residential use. Mizner lived in Villa Mizner, 5 story apartment complex which connected to his office and showrooms.
Casa de Leoni - 450 Worth Avenue, 1920. “House of the Swans” was designed for Major Barclay H. Warburton by Addison Mizner. Villa des Cygnes was the heart of the Warburton residence which originally encompassed 452-460 Worth Avenue.
319 Brazilian Ave, 1910 Palm BEach Bungalow
Society of the Four Arts - The original 1925 building was designed by Addison Mizner. Additions and alterations were added in 1928, 1936 and 1947, Gardens maintained by the Garden Club of Palm Beach. Four Arts 1989, architect, Lindley Hoffman, a project of the Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach. Library. FourArts Plaza.
Lake Trail- 1880s,the earliest “street” in Palm Beach.
Sea Gull Cottage - 56 Cocoanut Row, 1886. The oldest house in Palm Beach, built for R.R. McCormick; first winter home for Henry M. Flagler, 1893; moved to the oceanfront as part of the Breakers Hotel in 1913; 1984 moved near its original lakefront location by the PreservatioN Foundation Of Palm BEach.
Royal Poinciana Chapel - 60 Cocoanut Row, 1896, architect unknown.This interdenomina- tional church was constructed at the direction of H e n r y M . F l a g l e r . T h e c h a p e l h a s b e e n e n l a r g e d , r e n - ovated, remodeled, and is now in its third location.
Bethesda-by-the-Sea - 141 S. County Road,1925. Architects,Hiss andWeeks.The congre- gation of Bethesda-by-the-Sea traces its origins to 1889 when services were held in Palm Beach’s one- room schoolhouse. A small wooden building was constructed that year, a second church building was constructed in 1895. Today’s Gothic Church was constructed from 1925 to 1927
Birding Adventures in Palm Beach
1. Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge 143,874 - acres in the Boynton Beach Area - Last remnant of the northern Everglades. Visitor Center (561) 734-8303. From Boynton Beach Blvd go south on 441 for two miles to Lee Road. Open 7 days a week.
2. Wakodahatchee Wetlands 56-acres with 3/4-mile elevated boardwalk. 13026 Jog Road, Delray Beach, (east side of Jog Road between Atlantic Ave. and Woolbright Road.) Open daily, sunrise to sunset, (561) 493-6000.
3. Grassy Waters Preserve City of West Palm Beach 8264 Northlake Boulevard. (561) 627-8831. One mile west of Beeline Highway. Great walking paths and elevated boardwalk!
4. Belle Glade Western Palm Beach County - Agricultural fields and Lake Okeechobee shallows host wading birds and migrating shorebirds. Belle Glade Chamber of Commerce (561) 996-5357
5. John D. MacArthur Beach State Park on Singer Island. (561) 624-6950.
6. Loxahatchee River In Jonathan Dickinson State Park. (772) 546-2771.
7. Spanish River Park in Boca Raton. (561) 585-7714.
8. J.W. Corbett Wildlife Management Area Corbett Wildlife Management Area (561) 624-6989
9. Green Cay Wetlands 12800 Hagen Ranch Road,Boynton Beach east side of Hagen Ranch Road between Atlantic Ave & Woodbright Rd, 100 acres w/ elevated walkways & nature center, (561) 966-1700
10. storm water treatment area (STA 1 E) (should probably be number one when it comes to sheer numbers)